This is ME! Virtual Poetry Co-Taught Lesson
March 18 at 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm EDTFree Funded by Microsoft Canada
“When you know yourself, you’re empowered. When you accept yourself, you’re invincible.”
– Tina Lifford
Join this 60-minute, FREE co-taught lesson with your Grade 5 to Grade 9 class where we explore the power of your personal narrative coupled with the power of poetry.
The power of spoken word and poetry, made viral by people such as Brandon Leake (winner of America’s Got Talent Season 15), allows students to creatively express who they are and what they stand for. Inside this lesson, we’ll create a poem that is a statement of their identity.
Through reflection on how they are within their families, school, society, and world, their poem will share who they are or who they hope to be.
What do you need for the lesson?
- A device for each student (Chromebooks, Macs, PCs, iPads or tablets all work!)
- Access to the internet (this is a livestreamed lesson via Teams Live)
How is this lesson connected to the curriculum?
- Students will listen, speak, read, write and reflect on their thoughts, ideas, feelings and experiences.
- Students will listen, speak, read, write and represent in order to manage ideas and information to plan and focus, select and process, organize, record and evaluate and then share and review.
- Students will listen, speak, read, write and represent to enhance the clarity and artistry of communication.
- Students will use digital tools to express and clearly communicate their reflections and thoughts.
What happens after the lesson?
Here’s a sneak peak of some of the additional resources your class will receive to continue the conversation after the live, co-taught lesson:
- Grade-level prompts to take the poem created and assign the idea to other writing activities
- A rubric in order to assess the activity from our hour lesson together
- Additional resources to publish student work and represent it in other forms, beyond poetry
As always, this free lesson will be recorded to allow for flexibility. Register below and you’ll receive a link to the recording to use when it best fits your class schedule!
- Only educators need to register – think about it as one registration per class!
- Click the “+” to change the quantity from 0 to 1
- Click ‘Get Tickets’ to add it to your cart!
- Head back to the lesson schedule page to add another lesson to your registration. Remember to head to your CART to add all your details to register!