- This workshop has passed.
Meet Real Life Googlers (virtually, of course!)
March 19 at 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm EDTFree Funded by Google Canada
Are you considering a career in STEM and or Computer Science?
Wondering how Computer Science affects our day-to-day lives?
Looking for possible careers in Computer Science and STEM? We’ve got something for you (our Grade 9 to 12 students), and no experience with computer programming is necessary!
The Googlers will kick off the session by providing background on the life of a programmer, and the pathways that got them there. Then they’ll take us on a virtual tour of Google Waterloo. We’ll finish off the lesson with a chance for you to ask your questions to the Googlers.
You’ll leave the lesson with the confidence and inspiration for STEM and coding, and possibly new ideas for a career pathway!
What do you need for the lesson?
- A device for each student (PC, Macs or Chromebooks, iPads or Tablets work too!)
- Access to the internet (this will be a livestreamed lesson via YouTube!)
How is this lesson connected to the curriculum?
- Demonstrate an understanding, based on research, of a variety of local and global trends related to work and employment, including the effect some of those trends have had on workers’ rights and responsibilities and on the role of transferable skills in career development today
- Taking their personal profile into account, explore, research, and identify a few postsecondary destinations of interest, whether in apprenticeship training, college, community living, university, or the workplace, and investigate the secondary school pathways that lead to those destinations
- We’ll also touch on skills, such as: critical thinking, communication, creativity & innovation
Continue exploring this career path after the lesson:
- New to coding? We’ll provide you and your class with activities to get started (lesson plans and digital coding activities)
- Dive into how to craft a resume that peaks Google’s interest and learn interview tips from the pros
- If you are a graduating student, learn more about Google’s Computer Science Summer Institute
As always, this free lesson will be recorded to allow for flexibility. Register below and you’ll receive a link to the recording to use when it best fits your class schedule!
This workshop is made possible by Google Canada – thank you!
- Only educators need to register – think about it as one registration per class!
- Click the “+” to change the quantity from 0 to 1
- Click ‘Get Tickets’ to add it to your cart!
- Head back to the lesson schedule page to add another lesson to your registration. Remember to head to your CART to add all your details to register!