Building in Minecraft: Education Edition
March 16 at 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm EDTFree Funded by Microsoft Canada & Minecraft
Welcome to the Brand New Old MacDonald Farm!
Congratulations! You’ve been hired as our lead architect for building the floor plans for the New Old MacDonald Farm!
The MacDonalds are our newest clients (and a little demanding if you ask us!) and have some very specific requirements for their farm structures. We’re going to need you to make sure everything works so that we have satisfied customers.
At the beginning of this 90-minute, Minecraft co-taught lesson, we’ll share the list of requirements from the MacDonalds. Do you think you have what it takes to win them over?
What do you need for the lesson?
- Access to Minecraft: Education Edition (downloaded on your device, and a working log in for Minecraft:EE)
- A device for each student (Minecraft:EE works on Chromebooks, Macs, iPads and PCs)
- Access to the internet (this is a livestreamed lesson via Teams Live)
This lesson is recommended for anyone new to Minecraft: Education Edition or those in Grade 3 to Grade 8.
How is this lesson connected to the curriculum?
- Use appropriate units of length to estimate, measure, and compare the perimeters of polygons and curved shapes, and construct polygons with a given perimeter
- Compare the areas of two-dimensional shapes by matching, covering, or decomposing and recomposing the shapes, and demonstrate that different shapes can have the same area
- Use the row and column structure of an array to measure the areas of rectangles and to show that the area of any rectangle can be found by multiplying its side lengths
- Measure length, area, mass, and capacity using the appropriate metric units, and solve problems that require converting smaller units to larger ones and vice versa
Keep on building after the lesson:
We know students love to build in Minecraft: Education Edition and that’s what our next step resources are all about:
- Challenge set for additional ‘clients’ to dive into other numeracy concepts.
- A rubric to help assess your student’s learning.
- Tips and tricks for you to share with your students to show-off your newly acquired Minecraft skills.
As always, this free lesson will be recorded to allow for flexibility. Register below and you’ll receive a link to the recording to use when it best fits your class schedule!
This workshop is made possible by Microsoft Canada & Minecraft – thank you!
- Only educators need to register – think about it as one registration per class!
- Click the “+” to change the quantity from 0 to 1
- Click ‘Get Tickets’ to add it to your cart!
- Head back to the lesson schedule page to add another lesson to your registration. Remember to head to your CART to add all your details to register!