- This workshop has passed.
Are you a Digital Detective?
March 16, 2021 at 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EDTFree Funded by Microsoft Canada
Do you know what is real or fake online? How many characters does a strong password have? How long does something ‘live’ on the internet for?
Join us for the answers to these questions (and so many others) in our free, 60-minute co-taught lesson where we dive into what digital citizenship really means.
Our world is so fast-paced and changing all of the time! We’re spending more time online than ever before, and those apps on our phones are working hard to keep us glued to our screens!
Inside this lesson we will become Digital Detectives for an hour!
This lesson is recommended for Grade 6-10 classes).
What do you need for the lesson?
- A device for each student (Chromebooks, Macs, PCs, iPads or tablets all work!)
- Access to the internet (this is a livestreamed lesson via Teams Live)
How is this lesson connected to your curriculum?
- Consider the benefits and risks of sharing online and explore the effect that digital interactions can have on one’s self, reputation, and relationships.
- Evaluate the impact of screen time and seek to develop a balance between online and offline lives.
- Apply understanding of privacy and security in order to protect personal information.
Resources and next steps to keep the learning happening, even after this co-taught lesson!
Here’s a sneak peak of some of the additional resources your class will receive to continue the conversation after the live, co-taught lesson:
- Writing prompts for your students to further their understanding of what it means to have a positive and supporting digital footprint
- Creative prompts for your students to create digital materials to help share their knowledge of how to stay safe online with their peers
- Teacher resources that will help you bring more digital citizenship activities to your students
- Ideas and prompts to help your students lead a school-wide Digital Citizenship campaign
As always, this free lesson will be recorded to allow for flexibility. Register below and you’ll receive a link to the recording to use when it best fits your class schedule!
This workshop is made possible by Microsoft Canada – thank you!
- Only educators need to register – think about it as one registration per class!
- Click the “+” to change the quantity from 0 to 1
- Click ‘Get Tickets’ to add it to your cart!
- Head back to the lesson schedule page to add another lesson to your registration. Remember to head to your CART to add all your details to register!