- This workshop has passed.
It’s Raining Chickens!! Co-Taught Lesson
March 17 at 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm EDTFree Funded by Microsoft Canada & Minecraft
Inside Minecraft: Education Edition, of course!
Are you tired of the same old weather patterns? Ready for the cold and the snow to be gone, and open up some sunshine?
While we can’t help you IRL, we can change up what’s happening inside our Minecraft world.
Let’s make it rain chickens or bring on a sand storm!
Or maybe you feel like Steve is a bit too slow to move through those storms you just created. We’ll learn ways to speed him up and give him other superpowers!
Join us for this 90-minute co-taught lesson where we use MakeCode, Minecraft’s built-in coding editor, to create some awesome new realities.
Coding doesn’t have to be complicated, we’ll show you and your students how simple it is!
What do you need for the lesson?
- Access to Minecraft: Education Edition (downloaded on your device, and a working log in for Minecraft:EE)
- A device for each student (Minecraft:EE works on Chromebooks, Macs, iPads and PCs)
- Access to the internet (this is a livestreamed lesson via Teams Live)
We recommend classes join in who have played Minecraft before – no coding experience necessary (Grades 3-10 classes recommended)!
How is this lesson connected to the curriculum?
- Solve problems and create computational representations of mathematical situations using coding concepts and skills.
- Identify, describe, extend, create, and make predictions about a variety of patterns, including those found in real-life contexts.
- Use of critical/creative thinking processes (problem solving, computational strategies, verifying/testing/debugging)
Keep on coding after the lesson!
We’re helping to make coding easy to bring into your classroom with these activities to use after the lesson:
- A list of our favourite coding lessons that you can use the very next day to expand on your skills.
- Resources on how to start coding with your students outside of the world of Minecraft
- Class discussion prompts to help your class reflect on their coding journey
As always, this free lesson will be recorded to allow for flexibility. Register below and you’ll receive a link to the recording to use when it best fits your class schedule!
This workshop is made possible by Microsoft Canada & Minecraft – thank you!
- Only educators need to register – think about it as one registration per class!
- Click the “+” to change the quantity from 0 to 1
- Click ‘Get Tickets’ to add it to your cart!
- Head back to the lesson schedule page to add another lesson to your registration. Remember to head to your CART to add all your details to register!